I am a PhD student in political science at the University of California, Berkeley, with concentrations in political methodology and American politics. I conduct research on elections & advocacy using randomized experiments, machine learning, and causal inference.
I am also a consulting data scientist for a variety for organizations; you can send me a message to discuss a potential project.
- From 2011 to 2014 I worked at The Voter Participation Center as their director of analytics, managing field experiments and predictive modeling.
- From 2010 to 2011 I worked at Al Gore's climate advocacy group the Climate Reality Project (then called the "Alliance for Climate Protection") as the senior analyst on the digital team.
- From 2009 to 2010 I worked full-time with the international advocacy group Avaaz.org as a general technical consultant and product manager.
- From 2007 to 2009 I worked for Rock the Vote, leading experiments on voter registration and turnout of 18 to 29 year olds in the US.
Projects and programs I have managed include:
- Model building (machine learning) and model evaluation (Lasso, LR, MARS, RF, GBM, GAM, caret, etc.)
- Field experiments, advanced automated randomization, subgroup analysis, and heterogeneity
- Voter file matching, analytics, voter file quality, Catalist & Targetsmart subscriptions
- Voter contact (VR, VBM, GOTV, Persuasion): direct mail, phones, ads, mobile, email
- Online advertising & list building: Facebook, Google Adwords, Care2/Change.org
- Data visualization: charts, maps, tables, & performance dashboards
- Engineering: Drupal, Wordpress, jQuery, Python, & similar
- Census demographics, voter behavior, & turnout analysis
- Technology development, data syncs, & APIs
- SEO, Google Analytics, & Google Trends
I hold a master of public affairs from the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, where I concentrated in state politics and was student body president. I received my B.A. from The University of Texas at Austin with majors in government & economics, and minors in computer sciences & mathematics.
Current professional memberships include:
- Analyst Group
- Society for Political Methodology
- American Statistical Association
- American Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association